Checkmate! These chessmen combine the traditional Staunton style with the durability of plastic. They are 90% plastic filled which makes them heavier than plastic pieces that are hollow, and they feature felt bottoms. Pieces are black and ivory. The Staunton design has become the standard for tournament play. The pieces are easily distinguishable making for easier game play. Knights are made to resemble the head and neck of a horse. Kings are the tallest pieces featuring a cross atop a closed crown. Queens are slightly smaller than the kings, and feature a coronet topped with a small ball. Rooks feature castle battlements, and bishops resemble a liturgical headdress of a western church. Pawns are the smallest and are topped by a plain ball. The pieces which represent humans (the king, queen, bishop, and pawn) feature a collar which separates the body from the head design. These will be enjoyed for years to come.
- Chessmen meet the World Chess Federation ‘s (FIDE) height and proportions standards for tournament play.
- Pieces are black & cream plastic in traditional Staunton style – 90% plastic filled for better stability
- King measures 3.75 inches with 1.438 inch diameter base – pieces collectively weigh approx. 1 lb.
- Complete set of 32 pieces (plus 2 extra queens)
- Black canvas zip bag holds pieces – measures 8.5 x 7.25 in.